From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Re: Relative paths in spec files
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 23:27:28
1 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > With catalyst, there are so many paths that could be the "root"
3 > (/var/tmp/catalyst, /etc/catalyst, some random dir where you store your
4 > specs, etc.) that it just doesn't work.
5
6 I'm not sure that's a problem in everyone's environment.
7
8 In my case, I want to be able to check my complete set of configuration
9 for catalyst (spec files, overlays, linuxrc replacements, etc etc) into
10 subversion and have it Just Work regardless of exactly where the user
11 checks it out to. The key here is that because things are stored in
12 subversion in a specific tree layout, I know with certainty what the
13 relative paths look like on-disk, but I know nothing at all about the
14 absolute path.
15
16 Now, I can do this by hand by checking .spec.in files into svn and
17 preprocessing them, but that's ugly as sin; I'd much prefer to make
18 catalyst/modules/parse_spec.py support environment variable substitution
19 or somesuch, at least if `yall (agaffney, chris) would accept such a patch.
20
21 Would ${VARNAME} be acceptable to substitute in environment variables
22 (with ${PWD} being special), or would this stomp on some other
23 legitimate syntax?
26 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list