From: Justin Bronder <jsbronder@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Medium to large clusters using Gentoo
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:28:16
1 On 6/15/06, Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I've just started up a list of clusters with >=32 cores using Gentoo [1]
4 > that I found using Google. It should show up on the web nodes in roughly
5 > an hour. If you have any to add to the list, or corrections or updates
6 > to it, please let me know.
9 We have the potential to run 256 Xserves (512 processors) with a multilib
10 Gentoo environment. I say potential because once we hear back from Moab
11 about creating overlapping standing reservations, the nodes will boot from
12 Darwin to Gentoo dependent upon user requests for their jobs.
13
14 Of course in all the tests we've run, Gentoo and Linux in general,
15 outperforms
16 Darwin, so I suspect that eventually all of our current users will be
17 converted.
18 We're just making sure we supply them with the ability to decide.
19
20 Our website reports we are using Debian, which is true for the ldap and NFS
21 servers. The (head)nodes are all running Gentoo/Darwin though. We haven't
22 gotten around to updating that yet, heh.
23
24 Thanks,
25
26 Justin Bronder