From: Daniel van Ham Colchete <daniel.colchete@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] examples of (large) Gentoo clusters
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 21:17:19
1 On 12/5/06, John R. Dunning <jrd@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > From: "Daniel van Ham Colchete" <daniel.colchete@×××××.com>
3 > Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:55:12 -0200
4 > [...]
5 > Lustre uses a lot of kernel features that if not enabled will
6 > cause the kernel to crash.
7 > [...]
8 > I don't think that's true.
9 >
10 > I've been running lustre on assorted kernels, mostly under gentoo dists, for
11 > some months, and found that once you get past the installation issues, it's
12 > pretty trouble free.
13 >
14 > Now, note the caveats there: The installation issues are non-trivial, mostly
15 > because lustre is very intrusive into the vfs layer. This causes no end of
16 > headaches integrating with various other peoples' kernel patches, due to
17 > collisions with the other peoples' patches to vfs. That statement is as true
18 > of gentoo as it is of any kernel other than the few for which they supply
19 > canned patchsets. But I've never seen anything in there that contitutes using
20 > a kernel feature which causes the kernel to crash if not enabled. The closest
21 > thing I've seen to that is if you muff the patch merging and end up with an
22 > inconsistent patchset, that generally leads to a crash :-}
23
24 Well, my first Lustre test was crashing on every 'write' operation.
25 Them I enabled LVM and it worked. I'm using only the vanilla 2.6.12.6
26 kernel with the lastest 1.4 release.
27
28 I have another machine with the same kernel that crashes everytime I
29 try to use Lustre over the network, either as a client or as a server.
30 Locally it works perfectly. But I'm still trying to learn it and I
31 think I still have to spend plenty of time studying it :-).
32
33 > Lustre 1.6 (at least the client end) doesn't even really *require* all those
34 > kernel patches, ie they do support the idea of a patchless client.
35 That's a very good point.
36
37 > We at sicortex are planning on rolling out a gentoo-based cluster that depends
38 > heavily on lustre, so we've spent a fair bit of time banging on it. I'm
39 > pretty sure we understand it at this point. We'll know for sure soon :-}
40
41 Question: would you use Lustre 1.6 now or you would wait until the
42 official version is out?
43
44 Question: do you expect in upgrade incopability between the current
45 1.6 beta and next betas or the official version?
46
47 Best regards,
48 Daniel Colchete
49 --