From: Bryan Green <bgreen@××××××××.gov>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] examples of (large) Gentoo clusters
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 17:26:23
1 "John R. Dunning" writes:
2 > From: Bryan Green <bgreen@××××××××.gov>
3 >
4 > I was able to patch the kernel, but the server was somewhat unstable.
5 >
6 > Do you remember how it was unstable? That's the kind of thing I'd very much
7 > like to understand, as we're proposing to depend heavily on it. If there are
8 > issues, whether specifically tied to our patches or not, I'd love to know
9 > about them.
10
11 I remember the system was stable until we tried to shut it down. It would lock up while
12 shutting down, possibly while unmounting filesystems. I also did not get to do extensive
13 testing of the system, so I don't know if it would have been stable under real use of the
14 Lustre filesystem.
15
16 > I also tried to make a custom kernel for
17 > lustre 1.4, but ultimately hit too many roadblocks. I did learn a bit about how
18 > to use 'quilt' though.
19 >
20 > Hmmm. Maybe not. Our stuff ditches quilt.
21
22 I just used quilt when working with 1.4. I did not have an ebuild for that.
23
24 -bryan
27 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list