From: Justin Bronder <jsbronder@g.o>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-cluster] Re: Installing and using multiple MPI implementations at the same time.
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:33:53
1 On 09/02/08 22:56 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 ...
3 > > sys-cluster/empi: Does the same stuff that crossdev does. You create a new
4 > > implementation root by specifying a name and mpi implementation package to
5 > > build it with. [2] Empi adds these to an overlay under a new category with
6 > > the name you gave. The ebuilds inherit mpi.eclass which handles pushing all
7 > > the files to /usr/lib/mpi/<name>, and providing files for eselect-mpi.
8 >
9 > lib == $(get_libdir) ?
12 Yup, it's actually grabbed during the addition of the implementation to
13 eselect-mpi.
14
15 > > A couple of final words, hpl and mpi-examples currently wouldn't work without
16 > > empi, mainly because I'm lazy :) Also I still haven't figured out a good way
17 > > to handle do{man,doc,www} etcetera, ideas are welcome.
18 >
19 > Do the same thing as gcc. Install to a path under
20 > /usr/libdir/mpi/..../{man,doc} and use environment variables (MANPATH
21 > etc) and/or symlinks.
22 >
23 That's the general idea, however it's not as simple as just setting *into
24 unless I mess with $D first. The plan being to have something like mpi_doX
25 which would handle setting the correct install path and restore global
26 variables (like $D) on exit. Not sure if this is the best method, comments
27 appreciated :)
28
29 > > There's still a fair amount of work to be done, but I wanted to see if
30 > > anyone had any feedback regarding the general concept first before
31 > > pushing on.
32 > >
33 > > You can pull the overlay from rsync://cold-front.ath.cx/mpi (for now...)
34 >
35 > Is this in layman? The file's at
36 > gentoo/xml/htdocs/proj/en/overlays/layman-global.txt.
39 Not yet, it's being hosted off my home machine which doesn't always have the
40 best connection. If a consensus can be reached that this is a worthy
41 solution, I presume I can talk to the overlay/infra guys then, or maybe even
42 the sci team who already has an overlay with some MPI applications in it.
45 Thanks,
48 Justin Bronder