From: momentics <momentics@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] gentoo 2006.1 + openmosix-sources-2.6.12.r577 + openmosix-user?
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 14:35:49
1 hello Ramon
2 (cannot be agreed that grids needs to be explicitly defined, but we
3 can leave it as is – that's not important actually)
4
5 Your example is quite competitive… I think that it works well when
6 properly used.
7 btw I'm working at dell emea :) - glad to hear of dellserv using ;)
8
9 Let me please explain my conf.
10
11 Well, we are using 3dns/bigip for web/application/etc layers. I'm
12 expert here so there are no questions. The question is all about of
13 oracle rac that uses LVS in round robin (LVS is configured directly on
14 database nodes).
15
16 The actual question
17
18 Our development and app management is divided on two parts: "the
19 database" and "the rest".
20 Oracle/linadm are using LVS when they are building databases for us.
21 (just to clarify the question) Oracle RAC consists of several
22 Active/Active nodes, each of them has its own node address. There is
23 also dataguard but it is out of scope in this context.
24
25 So, we have, say, N nodes and N node IPs. Normally, these IPs I should
26 use in Oracle client TNS name on app boxes. But linux gents are
27 building LVS on top, where we additionally have K LVS' IPs (K=N) and
28 they are suggesting to use LVS' instead of Oracle's ones. That's
29 probably is fine.
30 Oracle clients on each app box is configured in LB mode. Transactions
31 are short lived then connection is recycled (in a test period I'm
32 speaking of – immediately)
33
34 So then, I'm using MRTG to see database load…. Yes! It is not
35 loadbalanced properly over time.
36 When I'm injecting F5 that points to N database nodes in roundrobin
37 and proposes 2 BigIP's IPs in the same OraClient configuration it is
38 loadbalanced properly.
39
40 The question is – I'm trying to find at least 1 idea on why we need to
41 use LVS here.
44 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list