From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] openmosix
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 22:47:09
1 On Fri, 25 May 2007 13:05:37 -0400
2 Ted Rodgers <trodgers@××××××.edu> wrote:
3
4 > Afaik, xen tools are only for virtual hosts, which wouldn't help us
5 > much. Our lab machines get hit pretty hard by matlab users, so it's
6 > not something that would virtualize well. The current setup isn't
7 > really clustered at all, it's a rack and lab setup sharing home
8 > directories and automounts using NIS. I liked the idea of letting
9 > something like openmosix doing workload balancing between machines
10 > without having to write wrapper scripts around the jobs.
11 >
12 > The ideal setup would have one machine were students/researchers log
13 > into, fire up the process, then have a management tool that
14 > determines where it runs. Users logging into random machines to run
15 > their jobs means sometimes 5 machines are idle while another machine
16 > is heavily loaded. A central login point would also allow us to
17 > restrict direct access to all the other machines.
18 >
19 > Ted
25 > José Costa wrote:
26 > > Well, have you tried with Linux-HA using Xen OCF Resource Agent?
27 > >