From: "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Remote administration of a server
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 19:04:35
1 Daniel van Ham Colchete wrote:
2 > Hello yall,
3 >
4 > first, this is a kind of "half-topic" issue, but I'll be using Gentoo and
5 > the matter is on the interest of this list.
6 >
7 > I'll be building a Gentoo Cluster soon in a datacenter 6000 miles
8 > (9600 km)
9 > away from me... This project has to be as cost efficient as possible.
10 > A lot
11 > of research was made in this heading: the best cost effective solution.
12 >
13 > Everything I'll be redundant and scalable. Somethings have three
14 > levels of
15 > fail safeness (like my storage). So everything can fail. Every single
16 > item
17 > on the cluster can fail and my service will still be online.
18 >
19 > Right now I'm concerned with how I'm going to fix software problems when
20 > they arrive. I'm thinking about a situation where I have a kernel
21 > panic or
22 > when the Linux won't boot for any reason (incorrect kernel upgrade, hard
23 > drive failure, etc...).
24 >
25 > To solve this, I'm seeing 2 options right now. The first would be
26 > buying a
27 > KVM-over-IP unit. But, a KVM-over-IP unit with the number of ports I
28 > need is
29 > expensive, almost as expensive as the servers it will be connected.
30 >
31 > The second option would be having another server acting as a USB
32 > Guest. This
33 > usb-guest-server would be connected to every other server through a USB
34 > cable and would be seen as a pen drive with a Gentoo rescue disk inside.
35 > Them, if something goes wrong, I can activate the virtual pen drive,
36 > remotely reboot the troubled server and it will boot the pen drive.
37 > There is
38 > a howto about this at
39 > http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/file_storage.html. But
40 > I can't find the necessary hardware to do this. Has anyone been able
41 > to do
42 > anything like this?
43 >
44 > Thinking about other options, does anyone have any other tip for me? Am I
45 > going in the right direction? For the obvious answer: I know it's
46 > better to
47 > be closer to the datacenter, but that's not an option for me right now
48 > and I
49 > know I'll have a remote-hands service, but it can be very time
50 > inefficient
51 > sometimes and I'm trying to avoid it as much as possible.
52 Umm.. pxe boot server is the first thing that comes to my mind.. serial
53 console access that works similar to ip kvm is another option.. Also
54 you may not want to cross post in the future. some people get cranky
55 with that..
56
57 Good luck
58