From: Bryan Green <bgreen@××××××××.gov>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] examples of (large) Gentoo clusters
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 17:58:30
1 Donnie Berkholz writes:
2 > Bryan Green wrote:
3 > > I am looking for something of a survey of examples of Gentoo-driven cluster
4 > s
5 > > out there. If such a survey has been done, perhaps someone point me to it.
6 >
7 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/cluster/#doc_chap2
8
9 Whoa, I don't know how I missed that page. Thanks!
12 > Joel Martin has previously posted Lustre ebuilds to the list (for both
13 > client and server, I thinkg). You may be interested. We'll want to get
14 > them into portage at some point, so there's no requirement that you use
15 > Suse server-side.
16
17 Yes, I actually used those ebuilds to test Lustre on our "mini" 3x3
18 hyperwall which runs Gentoo. I was able to get it working, but over here
19 they want the supported, released version, whereas those ebuilds are for the
20 beta. I tried to install the released version, but eventually ran into
21 problems. Also, since getting support from CFS is a requirement, that
22 restricts the OS choice to specific versions of Suse or Redhat.
23
24 The beta is supposed to become stable and supported by what was January, but
25 now has apparently been pushed out to March. :( The only chance of putting
26 Gentoo on the nodes of this cluster is if we can decide to go with the
27 version that is still currently in beta. This is because the beta, version
28 1.6, has a "patchless client", and so CFS is agnostic about OS on the client
29 side. For the server side, support=Suse as far as anyone I've talked to is
30 concerned.
33 > > I'd be grateful for any feedback I get from others on the list about the
34 > > clusters they maintain or use, and perhaps some comments about the efficacy
35 > > of Gentoo in an environment where stability is very important, and how
36 > > system administration compares to administration of a Suse or Redhat cluste
37 > r.
38 >
39 > The main difference is that, since we're "live," you need to consider
40 > how you want to deal with upgrades. You may wish to pick a static
41 > portage tree, import it into some sort of version control, and
42 > selectively import changes you want (probably just security bumps, which
43 > you can find using the wonderful glsa-check tool from gentoolkit).
44 >
45 > I've got a glsa-check wrapper that I use to make things a little easier,
46 > which shows and optionally applies applicable updates. I attached it.
49 I'd very interested in the different approaches here. I had thought about a
50 static portage tree, but that left the problem of getting needed updates,
51 especially GLSA's. Your suggested approach sounds very interesting.
52 How big of an extra administrative burden does that create? Maintaining our
53 own version controlled portage tree might be a hard sell. Thanks for the
54 script - I'll take a look at it. Is there any documentation out there about
55 a static portage tree?
56
57 -bryan
58
59 P.S.: I checked out SiCortex at SC06, and talked to one of the guys there.
60 Its definitely Gentoo. It sounds like they are a bunch of Gentoo
61 enthusiasts, actually.
64 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list