From: "John R. Dunning" <jrd@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-cluster] examples of (large) Gentoo clusters
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 19:11:39
1 From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
2 Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 10:29:00 -0800
3
4 [...]
5 I've just got a couple comments on this.
6
7 * The gentoo-sources patches are almost all upstream and based on the
8 W.X.Y.Z "stable release" patchsets, except for 2-3 cases that probably
9 aren't relevant to clusters. As a result, Gentoo folks would be
10 reasonably well off just running vanilla-sources, which groups them in
11 with everyone else wanting Lustre on a vanilla kernel.
12
13 Fair enough. If the solution to how to run lustre on a gentoo system starts
14 with "run a vanilla kernel, not a gentoo kernel", that makes things
15 considerably easier. It doesn't make all the problems go away, but at least
16 you've removed one of the uglier dimensions from the task :-}
17
18 * Normally I would recommend hardened-sources for anything resembling a
19 server, but you should have all your nodes and file servers blocked off
20 from the Internet anyway so that's a non-issue.
21
22 Yes. I expect that most of our machines will not be having ports open on the
23 big-I internet, at least in the early days. Later, that may change, and those
24 network-security patches will be of more immediate interest to us.
25
26 Of somewhat more interest, even early on, are patches for file-system
27 security. Last I paid attention to it, the plan was to pull in that class of
28 patch on an ad-hoc basis as we decide they're justified.
29 --
30 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list