From: Brandon Edens <brandon@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Install on a headless XServe?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:20:57
1 Hi Brady,
2
3 I too am in need of a solution for this problem. I've got an XServe that lacks
4 CDROM and a video card. I believe I can boot a cdrom through either a USB
5 connected or firewire setup. Did you have any luck building a install CD with
6 ssh enabled, a default root password, etc...?
7
8 I also lack a PPC machine to use catalyst on. I'll have one once I get the first
9 machine built. I've been experimenting with qemu ppc64 but am having problems
10 with garbled text when attempting to have qemu-system-ppc loads up the current
11 Gentoo ppc install cdrom. It seems that qemu (x86) can load the x86 Gentoo
12 install cdrom.
13
14 My current solution is to find any GNU/Linux LiveCD/RescueCD that will pump an
15 ip address, enable the ssh server, and allow access to the root account on some
16 default password.
17
18 Have you continued work on this problem? Have you had success? Found a solution?
19
20 Thanks,
21 Brandon Edens
22