From: Kurt A Landrus <kal@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Helloooooo...
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:28:15
1 Currently just looking at it...
2 we're currently running mix of older RedHat 7.2 based and Rocks based
3 clusters.
4 we just got funding to build a new cluster, and are looking at using
5 Apple G5 powermacs with Infiniband like the Virginia Tech cluster.
6 While I like the ease of building, and managing clusters with Rocks, I
7 don't like that its based on RPM, and also they don't seem to have any
8 desire to support platforms other than x86 based, even though there has
9 been a lot of interest on the mailing list for PowerPC support.
10 What cluster management tools are you using?
11 What platform(s) are you running?
12
13 I got interested in this as I noticed activity is flaring up on
14 gentoo-osx, and it'd be great if we can get portage working well on OS
15 X, and be able to use it to roll out clusters easily.
16
17 Any interest out there in beefing up cluster support on Portage-based
18 platforms (i.e. Gentoo-AMD64, and OS X (if portage becomes well
19 supported)) out there????
20
21 - kal
22
23 Kurt A Landrus
24 Cluster Systems Administrator
25 Arkansas High Performance Computing Research.
26 University of Arkansas