From: "Andrew D. Fant" <andrew.fant@×××××.edu>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Switchable MPI
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 23:16:17
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Andrew D. Fant wrote:
3 >
4 >> I think the real solution here is to use modules (
5 >>http://modules.sourceforge.net ) to handle the different versions of
6 >>mpi. I filed a bug about using this for switching alternate virtuals a
7 >>couple years ago, but nobody seemed to be particularly interested. I've
8 >>got a grad student working on something to let users switch between mpi
9 >>for gcc and mpi for the portland group compilers. I am most certainly
10 >>not the right person to do the heavy lifting on this, but I do have an
11 >>ebuild for modules I could contribute to the cause.
14 > That is an idea that's been brought up on the bug, but we need something
15 > that integrates into the Gentoo framework for switching things around:
16 > eselect [1].
17 >
18 > Perhaps one could create an eselect wrapper around modules. It certainly
19 > couldn't hurt to take a look at modules (via your ebuild) and see
20 > whether we could adapt it to our needs.
21 >
22 > Thanks,
23 > Donnie
24 >
25 > 1. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/eselect/
28 I'll dig around and forward the ebuild to the list later tonight or tomorrow.
29 At the risk of going off on a rant, I think that the /etc/env.d model is a core
30 part of the problem. If two users want to use two different mpi
31 implementations, will eselect allow them to both use them at the same time, or
32 will it have to be one or the other at once? As I see it, something will have
33 to be tweaking $LD_LIBRARY_PATH for each user's environment, or /etc/ld.so.cache
34 will have to be changed for each user's login to reflect their prefered mpi
35 environment. $PATH and $MANPATH can be handled by judicious checks in
36 /etc/csh.cshrc and /etc/profile, but since /etc/env.d insists on manipulating
37 the shared object cache directly, this has the potential to get really ugly
38 without some cooperation from the core system team. I don't think that the
39 cluster herd can fix it on it's own.
40
41 I would love to be proven wrong and will gladly defer to anyone who does so, I
42 just know that I've been trying to outthink this problem for a year or so on our
43 cluster and haven't come up with a sane solution for a true multi-user environment.
44
45 Andy
48 Andrew Fant | The lion and the calf shall lie | Disclaimer:
49 andrew.fant@×××××.edu | down together, but the calf won't | Do you REALLY
50 TCCS/USG | get much sleep. | think I can
51 Tufts University | W. Allen | speak for Tufts?
52 --
53 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list