From: Alex Brandt <alunduil@g.o>
To: gentoo-containers@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-containers] Repeatable Statically Linked Tar
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 02:18:24
1 Hey Guys,
2
3 I'm thinking we can get repeatable automatic base docker images
4 if we only had a statically linked tar. I know it would be
5 unseemly to just dump a statically compiled tar into a
6 repository without making it verifiable and repeatable. Does
7 anyone have an idea on how to create a statically linked tar for
8 inclusion in the base docker images?
9
10 My plan once I have this tar is to use it to extract the stage3
11 and portage tarballs. Something like this:
12
13 from scratch
14
15 add tar /bin/
16 add http://URL_FOR_TARBALL.gz /
17 run /bin/tar -zxvf /TARBALL
18
19 This would be an easily automated (via docker hub) way to create
20 the base images. I'm open to hearing suggestions on making this
21 type of image verifiable and trusted as well.
22
23 Thanks for any ideas you guys might have and once I have a
24 solution I'll push some more ideas to gentoo-docker-images.
25
26 Regards,
29 Alex Brandt
30 Cloud Evangelist for Rackspace and Developer for Gentoo
31 http://blog.alunduil.com