From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Council Agenda proposal for upcoming 2010-07-26 meeting
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 10:51:27
1 On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 01:42:08AM +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On 24-07-2010 23:55, Alex Alexander wrote:
6 > > Hi,
7 > >
8 > > following is the Council Agenda proposal for the upcoming meeting on
9 > > Monday, July 26th.
10 >
11 > Alex,
12 >
13 > thanks for sending the agenda email. Just to speed up a few things in
14 > the meeting, let me present my position in the issues to be discussed.
15
16 Good idea.
17
18 > > * allow all members to show up (5 min)
19 > > ** vote **
20 > > add --as-needed to default profile's LDFLAGS
21 >
22 > I'm ready to vote in favor of this proposal.
23
24 Likewise.
25
26 > > ** discuss / vote **
27 > > - required-use: http://dev.gentoo.org/~ferringb/required-use.html
28 >
29 > I'm also ready to vote in favor of this proposal. I don't like the var
30 > name, but I won't delay the vote because of the name.
31
32 Likewise.
33
34 We haven't managed to find any decent alternatives for the name,
35 so lets stick to that :)
36
37 > > - review eclass removal policy
38 > > should it be 2 years since portage 2.1.4.4 went stable?
39 >
40 > I've raised this issue before and I maintain my position that there is
41 > no need to wait 2 years.
42
43 Agreed.
44
45 > If we drop the requirement and start dropping old and deprecated
46 > eclasses, and seeing as Portage has been saving eclasses on vdb and
47 > using them when uninstalling old packages for more than 2 years, we
48 > should have no issues. But if we do, as I've suggested before, we can
49 > just point users to the lastest version before removal on
50 > sources.gentoo.org so they can get it back and put it on their portage
51 > eclass dir. We can even add some official docs about this.
52 > So to me we can just drop the eclasses when they stop being useful.
53 > Having a policy requesting a warning email with some advance notice,
54 > does sound a safe approach, though.
55
56 I think we need a lastrite email at least 30 days prior to removal,
57 to allow anyone using the eclass outside the tree to take action.
58
59 > > - should there a policy about eclass API changes?
60 >
61 > I don't think we should limit developers and teams from updating
62 > eclasses. As some changes might have a larger impact than expected, in
63 > particular because of overlays, I think we should require a warning
64 > email with advanced notice. I'd say something like 15 days should be
65 > enough for larger changes.
66
67 Agreed. As long as the developers/teams ensure that nothing breaks on
68 the main tree after the changes, they should be free to do whatever they
69 want.
70
71 > > - use of invalid DEPEND atom "EAPI_TOO_OLD" instead of calling die in
72 > > global scope on eclasses
73 > > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_dee3aab5e8c840ed3fa4add9c7d74b97.xml
74 > > and replies
75 >
76 > As I recall from the discussion at that time, there was an argument
77 > about PMS not allowing die to be called in eclasses (in global scope?).
78 > I can live with both options, so I'm open to what the PM people have to
79 > say about it.
80
81 If it comes down to us, "die"ing looks better to me, EAPI_TOO_OLD seems
82 too hackish.
83
84 > > - mailing lists
85 > > should we post council agenda to -council? -dev? -project?
86 >
87 > I haven't set my mind on this one yet, but sending to council would
88 > allow easier retrieval at later dates.
89
90 I think the proper place is -council. In my opinion each ML has its
91 place and usage. That said, I don't really mind cross-posting to -dev to
92 get greater visibility.
93
94 > > some devs suggest we should cross-post to -dev and -council
95 > > but not everyone likes cross-posting as it can lead to fragmentation
96 >
97 > As I've replied in the project thread, I don't have anything against
98 > cross-posting for this.
99 >
100 > > Petteri suggested punting -council and using -project instead
101
102 I like having a dedicated ML for council matters.
103
104 > > * go through bugs assigned to council@g.o
105 > > * open floor: listen to developers
106 > >
107 > > ---
108 > >
109 > > If you have something urgent not included above, please reply to this
110 > > thread.
111 > >
112 > > ---
113 > >
114 > > Note that I haven't added a duration to anything but the rollcall.
115 > >
116 > > Instead, I recommend we follow a 10 minutes per topic rule.
117 >
118 > Let's try it.
119 >
120 > > If a topic's discussion passes the 10 minute mark without reaching a
121 > > decision, we move further discussion to the mailing lists.
122 > >
123 > > If we need to vote for that topic, we move it to the next agenda
124 > > with a *vote* flag.
125 >
126 > Sounds good.0
127 >
128 > > Items with a *vote* flag cannot be moved a second time (unless there's
129 > > new data to consider), so they must be settled at that agenda's meeting,
130 > > in an attempt to avoid endless discussions.
131 >
132 > We should aim to ensure that votes do happen when an item is marked to
133 > be voted in a meeting. However it depends on council members being ready
134 > to vote at the meeting and on no new objection being raised during a
135 > meeting.
136 > If that fails, it might not be possible or desirable to have a vote when
137 > people don't know what they're voting on or have some doubts about a new
138 > objection.
139
140 Indeed, my recommendation's goal is not to force random outcomes. I think
141 of it as motivation for us to do our homework prior to meetings :)
142
143 *new* objections or data could invalidate the *vote* flag, pushing the
144 item to the next agenda (if no decision can be reached).
145
146 > > What do you think?
149 > - --
150 > Regards,
151 >
152 > Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
153 > Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections
156 Alex Alexander -=- wired
157 Gentoo Linux Developer -=- Council / Qt / KDE / more
158 www.linuxized.com