From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
Cc: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>, gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Council meeting summary for 8 November 2007
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 09:04:59
1 On 08:59 Fri 09 Nov , Roy Marples wrote:
2 > Development has now actually stopped and will resume once I know where
3 > the master repo is going to be unless anyone knows if I can start a git
4 > repo from a baselayout snapshot and then "push" it's commits to the main
5 > repo, or I can get a svn dump of the current baselayout and make a
6 > master git repo from that which then becomes the master? Maybe someone
7 > with more git knowledge could clarify?
8
9 If you can create a git repo from the svn, feel free to develop locally.
10 Since you'll have the exact same history as any other converted repo,
11 you'll be able to push to it if you just add an entry to .git/config to
12 tell git where to find it.
13
14 If you just create a new git repository from the files themselves,
15 things would be a bit funny and I expect you'd have trouble preserving
16 any development history because git would think it was some sort of
17 strange, ridiculously huge merge.
18
19 Thanks,
20 Donnie