From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Agenda for October meeting next Monday 2009-10-12
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 18:36:35
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 20:29:14 +0200
Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
> > Different Portage versions do different things with mtimes, > > From bug 181021 I conclude that Portage preserves timestamps since > version, and went stable in August 2007. That's more > than two years ago.
Which is well after the EAPI process started, and is thus covered by the whole "no changes to behaviour on old EAPIs" thing. It's also beside the point. EAPIs are about introducing new features, so there's no reason we should go with whatever Portage happens to do currently just because it's what Portage happens to do. Instead, we should be going with "what's the best thing we can do when we introduce this new feature?", and I have yet to see an explanation as to why installing files with a 1 Jan 1970 timestamp is "the best thing we can do". -- Ciaran McCreesh