From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-council] Re: Comparison of GLEP 54 and 'live ebuild' proposal
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 05:41:07
1 > Hi,
2 >
3 > Attached is my comparison of the two proposals for live sources.
4 > Sorry about getting it out late, I had to get ahold of a number of
5 > people to finish writing it up.
6 >
7 > Cheers,
8 > Thomas
9
10 I have some questions about the -live proposal. I'm sorry if some of
11 this has been answered already; I haven't had the opportunity to
12 follow it more closely.
13
14 The draft (http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero/glep/liveebuild.rst) says
15 that "At resolution the live keyword is substituted with a timestamp in
16 the form of iso date". What is meant by "resolution" here? Does this
17 mean that, having a gcc-4.4.0_prelive ebuild, 'emerge -p gcc' would show
18 something like:
19
20 [ebuild U ] sys-devel/gcc-4.4.0_pre20090310
21
22 If so, is there any way to identify that this is a live ebuild?
23
24 If I have an eclass that needs to do stuff to only live ebuilds (like
25 kde4-base.eclass setting SLOT=live when PV is 9999), how can I
26 differentiate between live ebuilds and snapshots? Do eclasses see
27 -live or the expanded datestamp in PV?
28
29 How do I know if a user has a live ebuild installed when they file a
30 bug without having to check if there's a snapshot with that date in the
31 tree every single time the PV has a datestamp in it? (minor gripe
32 admittedly)
33
34 If I build a live package today, will I see it as an update when
35 running emerge -pu @world tomorrow?
36
37 If I have 20090309 installed what does 'emerge =gcc-4.4.0_pre20090309'
38 do tomorrow? (It might be a neat trick to disable fetch and just
39 rebuild the current checkout in this case.)
40
41 Does 'emerge =gcc-4.4.0_pre<date>' even work, or just `..._prelive`?
42
43 Does the user at any point ever see "live" in the ebuild version or is
44 it always replaced by the date? If the latter, how do users know they
45 have to put '=sys-devel/gcc-4.4.0_prelive' in package.* and not
46 pre<date>?
47
48 Are there any facilities to allow a user to checkout a specific
49 revision from the repo, or is that beyond the scope of this GLEP? If
50 we ever do implement such a thing, it seems like the datestamp approach
51 wouldn't mesh well; 20090310 doesn't make much sense when the
52 revision is from a month ago.
53
54 I'll be honest, I much prefer the -scm proposal. But I want to
55 make sure I'm not completely out-to-lunch about -live before
56 making judgements.
60 gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
61 treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
62 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662