From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-council <gentoo-council@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Re: [gentoo-dev] Special meeting [WAS: Council meeting summary for 8 May 2008]
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 15:09:27
1 On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 09:59 -0500, Paul Varner wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 13:49 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > tove brought up an interesting point from GLEP 39:
4 > >
5 > > If any meeting has less than 50% attendance by council members, a
6 > > new election for all places must be held within a month. The 'one
7 > > year' is then reset from that point.
8 > >
9 > > musikc questioned whether that was only intended for the regular
10 > > meetings or also irregular ones like this.
11 > >
12 > > Open up the floodgates, folks. What do you think, what should we do? I
13 > > look forward to hearing your advice.
14 >
15 > Clarify the GLEP so that it refers to reqularly scheduled meetings only.
16 > I see no reason to kick the council out and rehold elections over a
17 > miscommunicated special meeting.
18 >
19 > Regards,
20 > Paul
21
22 It's at least as hard to modify the GLEP as it is to follow it. And I
23 don't think we want to be in the business of changing policies then
24 applying the new policies retroactively. If we do that, what's the
25 point of having policies in the first place? And, as ciaranm (one of
26 the GLEP's authors) pointed out, the GLEP requires at least one open
27 meeting per month, not regularly scheduled meetings. This month,
28 Council scheduled two meetings, and the GLEP applies to all Council
29 meetings.
30
31 It's very hard to see how this meeting was "miscommunicated" since it
32 was discussed in the 08.v.08 meeting, was called out in the summary for
33 that meeting, and is there in the log file of course. I think we can
34 expect the Council members to read the summaries of their own meetings,
35 no?
36
37 Regards,
38 Ferris
39 --
40 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
41 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)