From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Meeting format
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 17:58:22
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 2009.07.07 01:52, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
5 [snip]
6 >
7 > I also propose that we go back to moderating the council channel
8 > during meetings, and that we give +v very carefully. In order to
9 > still
10 > allow everybody to participate though, I suggest council members keep
11 > an eye on another channel (#gentoo-dev or else) where anybody can
12 > discuss, and that they bring any idea they think is valuable to the
13 > council channel where the meeting is occurring. This way everybody
14 > can
15 > get a voice and we can keep the council channel tidy during meetings.
16 That splits the log and makes collecting a summary much harder as the
17 discussion in the unmoderated channel needs to be logged and included
18 in the summary somehow. After all, it is clearly relevant to the
19 councils decision making process if the council members read it during
20 a meeting. A new channel would make the recording process easier.
21
22 I've never been a fan of +m for council meetings. By the time a meeting
23 happens, everyone on the council should have made up their minds, their
24 should be little to discuss. Even progress reports on topics can be
25 obtained by email and 'read' to the meeting and hence into the meeting
26 record.
27
28 Meetings are then little more than the public recording of council
29 decisions.
32 > The main drawback of a monthly meeting is certainly the decrease in
33 > reactivity and productivity. I was pleased to see an increase in both
34 > when meetings went bi-weekly and wouldn't want to lose this. So what
35
36 I think the increase in productivity was due to council members being
37 better prepared, rather than the increased meeting frequency. Maybe one
38 was the result of the other ?
39
40 > I
41 > propose in exchange is we don't wait for the live meeting to discuss,
42 > take decisions, vote, etc... Apart from unusually important votes or
43 > decisions, nothing prevents us from doing all these on the
44 > mailing-list.
45 Which mailing list?
46 There needs to be a public record of the path leading to a decision.
47
48 [snip good stuff]
51 > We should also get rid of both the slacker rule and proxies. They're
52 > good examples of over-engineering.
53 >
54 [snip]
55 Yes. Council decisions should require an absolute majority of council
56 members. That is 4 votes for or against with our present 7 member
57 council
60 > Denis.
66 - --
67 Regards,