From: Chrissy Fullam <musikc@g.o>
To: 'gentoo-council' <gentoo-council@l.g.o>, 'gentoo-project' <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-council] Extent of Code of Conduct enforcement
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:22:19
1 > Ferris McCormick wrote:
2 > > On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 02:34 -0400, Mark Loeser wrote:
3 > > > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> said:
4 > > > Can people be entirely banned from Gentoo?
5 > >
6 > > > - Why would we do it?
7 > > Because they are damaging the community and driving possible
8 > > contributors aways.
9 > >
10 > Let me respond to this specifically. I have pretty strong views on this,
11 > and I suspect they might reflect a minority opinion.
12 >
13 > I'm going to divide this into two cases, because I think the first one is
14 > easy. First case is developers who leave or threaten to leave giving the
15 > reason that "XXX (a developer or user) drove them away because of ...".
16 > Second case is a sponsor who threatens to withdraw support "unless
17 > something is done about XXX."
18 >
19 > In the first case, my reaction is absolute. The developer who threatens
20 > to leave because of someone else is (1) making the judgment call that we
21 > care if he leaves; (2) Is resorting to extortion to get rid of someone
22 > else (or reign someone else in or whatever). At that point, I'd wish him
23 > well in his future endeavors and start retirement process. I view giving
24 > in to such a threat as at least as harmful as whatever or whoever
25 > triggered it in the first place. This is based on my own background and
26 > experiences, and others no doubt react differently.
27
28 (1) I am bothered that as a member of devrel you state something that
29 implies devrel doesn't care if a developer leaves. While we have personal
30 opinions of people, devrel is expected to leave them at the door to our
31 jobs. I care when people leave, I care to know why they leave (this gives us
32 grounds for improvement which is what we should be seeking), and I care that
33 people do what is really best for them.
34 (2) You are making assumptions that people are resorting to extortion. I've
35 known people who simply said I'm through and leaving, here is why, and they
36 did so not to have someone try to win them back but rather so that the
37 appropriate people knew the areas that may require investigation. Not
38 everyone is a malicious ass trying to take advantage of people or ruin other
39 people.
40
41 > Now, there is a variation on this: The developer who resigns, citing
42 > abuse as the reason. Here, the process has broken down. Believe it or
43 > not, devrel and userrel will work with problems like this if we know there
44 > are such problems to address.
45
46 We are here to help, this is so very true, but devrel also recognizes the
47 stereo type that we are labeled with as a result of the past actions of a
48 variety of people within devrel, that being ineffective and not desiring to
49 do anything. This is not the case of devrel today. We will do what it takes
50 to appropriately address issues and if someone doesn't desire to participate
51 in devrel then they are welcome to seek out other areas of Gentoo in which
52 to participate.
53
54 > For example, if you want me involved, best
55 > is to contact me personally or open a bug assigned to me.
56 > If you want someone else, do whatever that person prefers.
57
58 If you contact a member of devrel directly then such a person will not be
59 acting as a devrel official but rather as a peer seeking to help. This is
60 quite alright and an option that anyone can exercise. The official means of
61 seeking devrel assistance is quoted from our policy as follows:
62
63 "To involve Developer Relations in your issue please send an email to
64 devrel@g.o or open a Bug and assign it to Developer Relations; either
65 is acceptable. Please note that opening a bug is not necessary for
66 mediation, however the developer may open a bug if he/she wishes to do so;
67 opening a bug is mandatory if mediation efforts fail."
68
69 > The second case is more delicate. It is still a form of extortion, but
70 > conceivably with merit. I think the resolution requires negotiation with
71 > the sponsor and the "problem child". If we can reach no agreement, I
72 > suppose we have to do what seems best for the community. That will always
73 > be a decision depending on each circumstance.
74
75 A sponsor saying that they will withdraw unless we address XYZ is welcome to
76 do just that. They are sponsors and not legally bound to us for a specified
77 period of time. If the mutually beneficial relationship is no longer
78 mutually beneficial then it indeed should end if there is no agreeable
79 resolution. For example, I cannot condone firing a developer who we feel has
80 not done something worthy of such punishment just to please a sponsor.
81 However I have no objection to a sponsor stating something that causes us to
82 review the situation and determine whether we do in fact agree that such a
83 statement is in the best interest of Gentoo, just such a decision should not
84 be made solely to keep a sponsor. I realize my opinion may not be popular
85 there, but it's my own. ;-)
88 Kind regards,
89 Christina Fullam
90 Gentoo Developer Relations Lead | Gentoo Public Relations