From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-council] Re: [gentoo-dev] Council size & terms [WAS] One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for January 22
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:37:59
1 On 18:23 Thu 22 Jan , Tobias Scherbaum wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > Discuss on-list before meeting
4 > > ---------------------------------------
5 > > - Council meta stuff (-council)
6 > > - Can the size change? Minimum? Maximum?
7 > > - Should we have 2-year staggered terms?
8 >
9 > I'm in favor of a fixed size of council members, I'd like to see at
10 > least 5 council members *if* developers want to change the size.
11
12 What is your reasoning for this?
13
14 > I dislike the idea of stretched 2-year terms, instead I prefer having
15 > 1-year staggered terms (voting every 6 months and replace 3 or 4
16 > council members). This would allow to put open council slots into the
17 > next election, we wouldn't need to hold extra elections for open slots
18 > then.
19
20 As I mentioned on the -council voting thread, I am concerned about a
21 constant influx of new members every 6 months making it very difficult
22 to make any progress. Do you think that won't be a problem? If so, what
23 makes you think that?
24
25 > Anyways, this is something we can discuss - but as a change to the
26 > voting procedure most likely does change or extend what's written down
27 > in GLEP 39 I'd like to see a election on those changes.
28
29 I'm assuming you mean a vote by all Gentoo devs, since an election
30 generally involves voting for a person rather than a policy.
31
32 Just as a point of reference, the council has voted to change GLEP 39 in
33 the past. I definitely feel that we need to hold this discussion
34 publicly and get input from everyone. I think the council should then
35 take all this input into consideration and vote upon it.
38 Thanks,
39 Donnie
40
41 Donnie Berkholz