From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council <gentoo-council@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Agenda for the meeting of December 7th, 2009
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 11:48:28
> 4. GLEPs 58, 59, 60 and 61 (15 minutes) > Read more about this as well as a nice summary at [3]. Vote for or > against each of these 4 GLEPs. If voting against please suggest > improvements and/or alternatives.
Shouldn't GLEP 57 be included in this list (although it's only informational)?
> 5. mtime preservation (15 minutes) > Three alternatives have been proposed: > 5.1. The package manager must preserve modification times of regular files. > This includes files being compressed before merging. Exceptions to this > are: > - Files newly created by the package manager > - Binary object files being stripped of symbols > - Maybe others
In case we accept 5.1., I suggest that we delegate it to the Portage team to produce a list (which can also be empty) of the "maybe others" files.
> Depending on the exact wording and exceptions this can be > made equivalent to 5.3 below.
Right, that's the intention of it. We should also consider including this in EAPI 0 retroactively, as suggested by Zac in [1]. Look at the following sequence of events: 2007-07-28 Portage 2.1.3 is released, preserving mtimes when merging (if release candidates are counted, then the date is even earlier [2]). 2008-05-08 PMS allows that file modification times are discarded. [3]
> Note that none of these propositions have a solution for subsecond > resolution requirements. But note also that no package could be > identified as having such requirement yet. Do we care?
I don't. Ulrich [1] <> [2] <> [3] <;a=commit;h=de6ee9c6ad50d4d130e9ad02f31bddced15293f4>

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-council] Agenda for the meeting of December 7th, 2009 "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-council] Agenda for the meeting of December 7th, 2009 David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com>