From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Re: Stepping back from council duties
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:36:54
1 On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:04:58 +0100
2 Torsten Veller <tove@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > * Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>:
5 > > Since Cardoe was the last person from the council vote with a
6 > > distribution that's anywhere between "more positive than negative" and
7 > > "even", I suggest that we leave the remaining spot open rather than
8 > > filling it with someone who the majority of developers ranked in the
9 > > bottom half of candidates.
10 >
11 > The "bottom half" depends somehow on the number of candidates.
12 >
13 > This is the ranked list:
14 > | 1 dberkholz
15 > | 2 Halcy0n
16 > | 3 Flameeyes
17 > | 4 Betelgeuse
18 > | 5 lu_zero
19 > | 6 Jokey
20 > | 7 dertobi123
21 > | 8 cardoe
22 > | 9 dev-zero
23 > | 10 leio
24 > | 11 welp
25 > | 12 fmccor
26 > | 13 ulm
27 > | 14 jer
28 > | 15 hkBst
29 > | 16 astinus
30 > | 17 ferdy peper
31 > | 18 zlin
32 >
33 > What is the bottom half?
34 >
35 > By ranks:
36 > 1-9 is the first half, and 10-18 the second.
37 >
38 > Or did you already remove rank 18?
39 >
40 > | * Whenever a member of the Council loses their position (the reason is
41 > | irrelevant; they could be booted for slacking or they resign or ...), then
42 > | the next person in line from the previous Council election is offered the
43 > | position. If they decline, it is offered to the next person in line, and so
44 > | forth. If they accept and the current Council unanimously accepts the new
45 > | person, they get the position with a 'reduced' term such that the yearly
46 > | elections still elect a full group. If the Council does not accept that
47 > | person, then a new election is held to choose a new member.
48 > <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20070208-summary.txt>
49 >
50 > So your options are:
51 > - Change the rules once again. Because you can.
52 > - Follow the rules.
53 >
54 Based on that, it looks like the alternative to moving further down the
55 list is to hold an election for the open spot. That seems more
56 reasonable than leaving it open because the next election is several
57 months away. And something might come along that needs a tie breaker
58 vote.
59
60 By the way, the final ranking only shows an ordering by preference. It
61 does not say anything about whether or not the developer community
62 would not want any of these candidates as council members.
63
64 While we are at it, please remove my name from the list no matter how
65 this gets decided. As a trustee, I am now not allowed to sit on Council
66
67 Regards,
68 Ferris
71 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
72 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)