From: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] doman -i18n (for EAPI 4?)
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 06:03:17
1 On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:35 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 > The "doman" command has an -i18n option which is supported by all
3 > three package managers, but so far PMS fails to documented it.
4 >
5 > Bug 303919 [1] contains a proposal to add this documentation to PMS,
6 > but also slightly change behaviour of doman, so that the -i18n option
7 > would take precedence over the filename language suffix.
8
9 I would say that this requires to be part of an EAPI bump in order to
10 be added. On the other hand I'm all for not waiting for all of EAPI 4
11 to be ready if we think we have enough material for a bump (I'm not
12 saying it's necessarily the case right now). More specifically I think
13 the current situation of deciding on a number of features for a given
14 EAPI before they are even worked on is proving that it's a bad idea.
15 Since we're all volunteers progress occurs rather unpredictably and
16 planned features which are not available yet are blocking features
17 which are available and would be useful now.
18
19 The downside to that is that it makes the life of the maintainers of
20 package managers more difficult since they end up having to track a
21 moving target. So if we decided to go that route we'd have to
22 cooperate better with them and provide them with enough visibility and
23 support to make it easier for them.
24
25 > Do we need a council vote on this? If yes, is it something that should
26 > go into EAPI 4 still? (Patches for portage [2] and PMS [3] are both
27 > ready.)
28
29 You can add to the agenda a vote on whether we want this feature in
30 the next EAPI bump, independent of what this bump actually is. In case
31 there's enough time you might even want to add a discussion on the
32 above topic.
33
34 Denis.