From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: Thomas Anderson <gentoofan23@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o, gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Decision on recent developer retirements
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:32:41
1 On 07:39 Sat 23 Aug , Thomas Anderson wrote:
2 > Let me see if I understand the council's reasoning...
3 >
4 > If dev A gets retired by devrel for insufficient reasons(what those
5 > reasons are are irrelevant to this discussion), and his behaviour does
6 > not change after his retirement(as he never had wrong behaviour), then
7 > dev A's appeal is rejected?
8
9 Let's start at the beginning of what you've said here. First, you claim
10 the reasons are insufficient. If the lead of devrel and all 7 council
11 members disagree with that, you might want to reset your idea of what
12 levels of abuse are acceptable in Gentoo.
13
14 Second, we apparently failed to make it clear enough for non-English
15 natives exactly how this worked. There are basically 3 possible
16 positions to have on anything:
17
18 1. Clear belief that an issue should be approved
19 2. Clear belief that an issue should be denied
20 3. Ambiguous: based on the observed evidence, it could go either way.
21
22 The description of which times we would go with the original decision is
23 to explain what happens under scenario 3 above. This applies to not just
24 devrel but to any team or person within Gentoo making a decision that
25 gets appealed. If there's not a good enough reason (in our judgment) to
26 change the original decision, we leave it.
27
28 > Now, some may say that this is the reason Council reviewed the
29 > evidence(did that really happen?). To prove my point, I'd like to ask
30 > the council(and anyone else interested in devrel/council policy)
31 > what reasons it found, looking through the evidence
32 > provided, that any of the three developers were a security risk, I
33 > certainly didn't see any.
34
35 I found no good reason to reverse any of the decisions. The closest
36 thing I saw was some ambiguity, and that is specifically what we decided
37 to defer to devrel on as I described above.
40 Thanks,
41 Donnie
42
43 Donnie Berkholz