From: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-council] Amending GLEP39
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:07:04
2 This is by the way a blocker for part of the previous discussion about
3 meeting format, i.e. getting rid of proxies and slacker mark.
4
5 I will keep my opinion for myself until later in order to not bias the
6 discussion. I will try and present the facts as I see them but as
7 neutrally as possible. This is the result of lots of discussions with
8 lots of yous. Feel free to add to this, I'm not going to pretend I've
9 heard it all.
10
11 There are various schools of thought here, and we can divide them
12 using mainly two axes.
13
14 One is about whether we can actually modify GLEP39 or not. Some think
15 that GLEP39 is so fundamental that it can't be changed, period. A less
16 extremist faction think that although it can't be changed we can
17 decide to write another and switch to it if enough of the right people
18 agree (TBD, see below). And then there's those who think that GLEP39
19 can be amended under the right conditions (see below again).
20
21 The other axis is about how we agree we can amend GLEP39 or switch to
22 an entirely different text. Some think that as long as GLEP39 was
23 voted by the whole dev population, in order to change it we need all
24 devs to vote the change. Some others think that the whole point of
25 electing a council is about delegating your vote and making the
26 maneuvering of this large ship that Gentoo is a lot easier than if we
27 had to resort to all-devs vote for everything. The required majority
28 for each alternative (all devs vote, or council members only) is a
29 detail right now, but will need to be discussed at some point.
30
31 Then there's a sub-axis. In the case we allow the council members to
32 vote on GLEP39 changes to make things easier, would it be the same if
33 we were to switch from GLEP39 to a completely different text or would
34 this require an all-devs vote? And even in the case we're only
35 changing GLEP39, how major can the change be before we have to go back
36 to the whole dev population? Because it's certainly possible to change
37 GLEP39 to such an extent that it becomes an entirely different thing.
38 Can we actually quantify how big a change is?
39
40 There's one last group: those who don't care but will find an angle in
41 the above to make personal attacks. Please don't.
42
43 Denis.