From: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Re: mtime preservation
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 15:18:26
Let the clueless dev that I am summarize the situation. Please correct
me if I'm wrong, I think that will help more people than just me. In
the end I'll propose 2 wordings for PMS.

I understand that the issue with requiring mtime preservation is that
after unpacking the tarball(s) some files can have absurd dates, like
January 1st 1970 or else. One easy solution to this would be to reset
mtimes at merge time which will take care of everything. However, I
know of a package which requires mtime preservation from src_compile
to the moment it's merged to ${ROOT}. And if there's a package like
this in my very small corner of Gentoo there must be more elsewhere,
and there probably will be more in the future.

So here are the 2 wordings I propose.

1 - All mtimes from the package's sources are preserved until files
are merged to ${ROOT}. In case some mtimes are absurd and/or
unsuitable, they're considered a bug and it's the maintainer's
responsibility to fix them and report back upstream.

2 - All mtimes from the package's sources are reset to current time
between the src_unpack phase and the next one. That is before
src_configure when EAPI<2 and before src_prepare when EAPI>=2. mtimes
are then preserved until files are merged to ${ROOT}.

How's that? Am I missing something?