From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>, "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] RE: [gentoo-council] Foundation by laws: new Article V
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 23:01:31
1 Partial reply
2 ============
3 On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 18:16:21 -0400
4 Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5
6 > Roy Bamford wrote:
7 > > The three remaining trustees were also nominated to stand for election
8 > > for the council. Had they all accepted and been elected to the council,
9 > > today we would be in the position of having trustees being a subset of
10 > > council. That would have totally destroyed the council/foundation split
11 > > that was one of the reasons the two bodies were created.
12 > >
13 > > We need rules to stop that situation from occuring.
16 > Is this the case? That we need to stop the council/trustees from
17 > overlapping? Is it true that the council/foundation split was one of
18 > the reasons the two bodies were created?
19 >
20 > My understanding is that the reason we have two bodies is so that people
21 > can contribute to either the council and/or the trustees based on their
22 > enthusiasm or ability to contribute, without being required to
23 > contribute to both. Also - due to the foundation being a US corporation
24 > it is likely the case that we can't have non-US-residents holding board
25 > positions. So, the split is a practical matter - not a matter of
26 > principle per se.
27 >
28 Richard,
29 I guess you don't know that Roy (NeddySeagoon) is a trustee living in
30 Scotland? :) Not a US citizen.
31
32 There are two bodies because (1) the council is elected by the Gentoo
33 developers to guide the technical aspects of the Gentoo project. It's
34 members must be developers, I believe.
35
36 And (2), The trustees are the board of the Gentoo Foundation, a New
37 Mexico not-for-profit corporation which is separate from the project.
38 The trustees are elected by the members of the Foundation and must be
39 members of the Foundation.
40
41 Not all developers are members of the Foundation, and not all
42 Foundation members are developers, so it would be impossible to have
43 just one governing body even if we wanted to. Which we don't, because
44 the skills required for the one are not the same as those required for
45 the other.
46
47 So the split is a bit more than a practical matter. It is required
48 because the developers and Foundation members are not the same people
49 (although there is a lot of overlap, of course).
50 > I wasn't seriously involved back when the trustees were created so I
51 > won't presume to argue that I really know all the reasons for it being a
52 > separate body. However, I don't think that really matters - the only
53 > thing that matters is if we think it should be forced to be such today.
54 >
55 > In my opinion the benefits of joint council/trustee membership outweigh
56 > the downside. However, I'm sure things will go on fine either way -
57 > I'll trust the trustees/council to make the right decision.
60 I'll leave the hard parts to someone else.
61 Regards,
62 Ferris
63 --
64 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
65 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)