From: Chrissy Fullam <musikc@g.o>
To: 'gentoo-council' <gentoo-council@l.g.o>, 'gentoo-project' <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-council] User Relations authority
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 04:05:48
1 Sorry, this is long. I hate long emails but find the topic to be one
2 warranting discussion.
3
4 <snip out Council log comments>
5 > I note two things. (1) As I read this, no one here is arguing for
6 > anything like a permanent ban; (2) The main thrust in this appears to
7 > address *poisonous developers* except for christel who advocates including
8 > non-developer users as well. And I don't see anything suggesting that
9 > wolf31o2/kloeri/christel/seemant are discussing permanent action, although
10 > I don't have the complete context.
11
12 Lack of an idea previously does not nullify the validity of the idea now.
13 They were however discussing the root cause, repeat offenders who continued
14 to have negative effects on the community and isn't that at the heart of the
15 matter here?
16
17 > So, I don't think I have any argument with
18 > wolf31o2/kloeri/christel/seemant here, but I think what you cited
19 > *supports* my view. Let me quote kloeri again, because he seems to be the
20 > strictest among them:
21 >
22 > <kloeri>: there's some devs that are persistently poisoning the
23 > project that I want to deal with but that's not just related to
24 > mailinglists
25
26 I read 'not just' to mean not exclusive, as in people do it in places other
27 than solely on mailing lists, such as IRC channels perhaps.
28
29 > My concern goes more to who determines "jerk-ness"
30 > and what we do about it. And it bothers me a lot that a small number of
31 > people believe themselves qualified to make that decision in secret.
32
33 Not sure who said they wanted to make any such decisions in secret. As an
34 active participant in this discussion since the beginning I know secrecy was
35 not my intent.
36
37 > Code of Conduct seems to require that the people applying it are actively
38 > working with the "jerks" involved. Even kloeri said he was opening a bug
39 > on some developer for all to see.
40
41 <kloeri>: I don't want to ban anybody but I do want to be much harder on
42 devs poisoning things consistently and I'm going to file at least one devrel
43 bug in that regard ....
44
45 Actually fmccor, kloeri did not state for all to see. He could have opened a
46 private bug and closed it for only Dev Rel to see for example. That would
47 also fit with his above quote.
48
49 > Nothing in our
50 > current documentation that I can see indicates that we should have a group
51 > of people rooting through our archives in order to put together a case for
52 > imposing a permanent ban on someone, and if you are really suggesting any
53 > such thing, *something* needs to be updated in order to put the community
54 > on notice.
55
56 I think if someone were to be rooting through archives it would be to
57 supplement a case, not base one solely on something that happened long ago.
58 If it were last week I would not consider that to be rooting through
59 archives, personally last week's emails are readily accessible.
60
61 > As I understand it, these proposals fit into the context of the Code of
62 > Conduct, and no matter what you say, I am certain that the Code of Conduct
63 > was put in place to address problems as they occur in order cut off and
64 > prevent brush fires.
65
66 As someone who was regularly consulted by Council for the creation and
67 editing of the original CoC I feel I can appropriately comment here. It was
68 not put in place to only handle something that just happened, it simply was
69 not deemed a relevant point of discussion as we felt people were competent
70 enough to make appropriate decisions. Its intent was to be put in place as
71 an extension of Dev Rel policy and to be applied to developers and users
72 alike. The discussion regarding time as I recall was limited to how we would
73 not want to apply it to someone who since changed his/her ways in their
74 communications and made the desired improvements... such an act would then
75 be vengeful.
76
77 > In this context, his permanent ban proposals would
78 > be the final sanction after quite a long run of working with someone
79 > through the Code of Conduct itself.
80
81 It was not designed to replace common sense nor to nullify previous efforts
82 if they were made after this lovely document; if anything it was deemed the
83 documentation of what was perceived to be common sense when we found that
84 sense may not be as common as we would have liked. ;-)
85
86 > Now, as I have said, I think providing for moderating the -dev mailing
87 > list fits much more neatly into the Code of Conduct, and I had thought we
88 > would have this in place by now
89
90 These are two separate items and both are good solid items for discussion.
91 Discussing one does not mean the other is not relevant or desirable.
92
93 >(although the push for that seems to have
94 > died --- it's sort of funny that right now I'm the one pushing it).
95
96 Not dead in the least. As I understood it infra was looking into the
97 practical implementation though can appreciate the confusion as we rather
98 froze the 'who should moderate' discussion after realizing that many of us
99 could not agree on the who... though tsunam and myself as User Rel and Dev
100 Rel leads did say that we would be more than willing to discuss implementing
101 the tasks into our respective groups as a collaborative effort.
102
103 > Donnie suggests elsewhere that moderation is not the answer because the
104 > number of "poisonous people" is small and the group tends to be the same,
105 > but I don't understand the point.
106
107 I recall Donnie being in favor of both moderation as well as banning. Donnie
108 can comment best to his views though.
109
110 > All that says is that the list of
111 > people being moderated would be pretty static. To that I answer (1) So
112 > what? Does it matter that the moderators have a static list rather than a
113 > dynamic one?
114
115 Sure it does, in the sense that a repeat offender should be reviewed as to
116 why we allow them to take up our time instead of following processes that we
117 are currently discussing to put in place in conjunction with the moderation.
118
119 > (2) That's invalid anyway because we've never tried it.
120
121 It's not invalid. It's why we talk about ways to implement things. As you
122 likely agree, policies and documents require updating so let's talk about
123 different ways and determine the one we wish to try. Nothing is concrete.
124 One doesn't work, try another. We're fluid like that.
125
126 > Oh, yes. I'm going to stand by my statement that imposing permanent bans
127 > in secret without involving the parties involved is cowardly.
128
129 Who the heck said they wanted to do everything in private? I'm not even sure
130 where you got this notion from, though you have used it repeatedly on this
131 and similar threads and that's the only reference I can find. If I'm missing
132 something, please tell me.
133
134 > I'm also going to stand by my statements that the intent behind the Code
135 > of Conduct has always been to provide a way to react quickly to problems
136 > as they unfold. ... Or we could just ask Christel; she
137 > wrote it and she knows what she had in mind. (Actually, I guess I'll ask
138 > Christel if no one else does.)
139
140 Actually while Christel undoubtedly worked hard, this is not how this
141 happened at all. A group consisting largely of Council but some external
142 parties... hell I even brought in a professional PR person as part of the
143 process... held the discussion and Christel was elected to draft up the
144 thoughts and agreed upon ideas into a more comprehensive document which the
145 group agreed to name Code of Conduct.
148 Kind regards,
149 Christina Fullam
150 Gentoo Developer Relations Lead | Gentoo Public Relations
156 gentoo-council@l.g.o mailing list