From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Extent of Code of Conduct enforcement
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 06:34:46
1 Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> said:
2 > Can people be entirely banned from Gentoo?
3
4 It would be ideal, but not technically feasible.
5
6 > - What would such a ban include? Some ideas -- the person could not:
7 > - Post to any gentoo mailing list;
8 > - Post to gentoo bugzilla;
9 > - Participate in #gentoo- IRC channels;
10
11 All of these seem to be possible to an extent and would be valid if we
12 would like to limit the damage an individual does to the community.
13
14 > - Contribute to gentoo (hence my corner case of a security fix) except
15 > perhaps through a proxy;
16
17 This would be difficult to control, and I don't think we should care in
18 this case. If they are contributing through a proxy (say Linus), should
19 we reject their fix?
20
21 > - Why would we do it?
22
23 Because they are damaging the community and driving possible
24 contributors aways.
25
26 > - Under whose authority would it happen?
27
28 Devrel and/or userrel
29
30 > - Would it be reversible? What conditions would cause this?
31
32 This would be something I would like to hear opinions from userrel and
33 devrel on. Do they think someone that we would want to ban permanently
34 would turn around enough to unban?
35
36 > Since the banned person couldn't participate in Gentoo, we'd never
37 > know whether anything changed.
38
39 Refer to my comment above.
40
41 > - How would one appeal this? Would there be a chance to respond before
42 > the ban?
43
44 If it got to the point of us considering a permanent ban, I don't think
45 there is any reason to even consider listening to an appeal at that
46 point. With that being said, I would expect a permanent ban to be a
47 majority vote from devrel or userrel to put such a ban in place.
48
49 > - Would moderating the gentoo-dev mailing list obsolete this concept?
50
51 I don't think so.
55 Mark Loeser
56 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org