From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] prepalldocs
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:08:45
1 Torsten Veller wrote:
2 > * Thomas Anderson <gentoofan23@g.o>:
3 >> Technical Issues:
4 >> - Prepalldocs
5 >> Should the 'prepalldocs' be allowed in current EAPIs?
6 >>
7 >> Conclusion:
8 >> Prepalldocs is banned in current EAPIs(0,1,2). It should be
9 >> removed from ebuilds. Petteri Räty(Betelgeuse) will make QA
10 >> checks for repoman.
11 >
12 > You only did half of your job.
13 >
14 > Do we want some docs being compressed, others not?
15 > Do we want to have compressed docs at all?
16 > What do you expect from maintainers now?
17 >
18 > To me it means: Instead of using prepalldocs I will move the docdir to
19 > a temporary place and dodoc every file back to docdir. Insane.
20 > Maybe I add a function named prepalldocs to the ebuilds that does the job.
21 >
22 > Thanks.
25 Please read the logs. prepalldocs has no clearly defined behavior so it
26 should not be used by ebuilds. Maintainers should use the public APIs
27 available to them. If they have a justified need beyond those, they
28 should open a request for adding needed things to the next EAPI.
29
30 Regards,
31 Petteri