From: Chrissy Fullam <musikc@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@l.g.o, 'gentoo-council' <gentoo-council@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-council] RE: [gentoo-core] Freenode bans
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 01:44:29
1 > > > >> Sounds like it's beyond time to leave freednode for another. More
2 > > > >> than likely oftc. It will be a PITA but at least self inflicted. Or
3 > > > >> we can wait it out till we get hit something that is not self
4 > > > >> inflicted.
5 > > > >>
6 > > > >> Maybe something for the council to discuss and vote on at next
7 > > meeting?
8 > > > >>
9 > > > > I second that.
10 > > >
11 > > > Same here. It's time we said "enough".
12
13 Further discussion with Freenode staff, to include dmwaters and tomaw as christel (Freenode president) was unavailable for response, indicates that there is an internal Freenode policy, not publically documented on http://freenode.net/policy.shtml, that dictates that Freenode staff cannot relay the justification for a ban to anyone other than the individual banned. Gentoo is referred to as 'third party' and not considered a direct party though we use Freenode as an official means of communication and forcibly removing any developer has direct consequences in how we function. Dmwaters stated that she assumes wolf31o2 was banned for being off topic to the Freenode network as such I highly encourage all to review the section in Freenode policy regarding what is deemed off topic just in case.
14
15 I'm advised from wolf31o2 that he received no previous communication from any Freenode staffer regarding his alleged violations so he was banned for his first alleged offense and he noted that he has not spoken directly to a Freenode staffer prior to today in months so has no justification for this action.
16
17 As a result of lack of communication from numerous angles (read above) I do agree that consideration is warranted as to whether Freenode is the right network for Gentoo. The conversation with tomaw and dmwaters indicates that this is not likely to change so I see little hope for improved communication in the future.
18
19 I've included Gentoo-council as I too would like this to be a topic of discussion there to be voted on in the upcoming Council meeting on August 14th.
22 Kind regards,
23 Christina Fullam
24 Gentoo Developer Relations Lead | Gentoo Public Relations