From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
Cc: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>, gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Council meeting summary for 8 November 2007
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 09:00:15
On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 00:42 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> On 00:35 Fri 09 Nov , Robin H. Johnson wrote: > > On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 12:05:56AM -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote: > > > Could you tell us a bit about what you're thinking for where to host > > > the repo?
I was planned to host it on my home server, but using someone else for actual tarballs to save on my bandwidth. Not that many people have been interesting in developing for baselayout ouside of base-system beyond providing the odd patch here and there.
> < > > I'll bite on this one, because I see folks aren't playing with a full > > deck of cards. > > > > Uber has asked to host the baselayout2 git repo on the overlays > > machine, where we do allow external folk to have access. Stay tuned to > > -core and -dev for more about Git offerings from Infra, and the > > overlays box as well. > > I think it should be very important to get something besides crappy git > over http to do this, and I presume that's one of the offerings you're > talking about.
This would be preferred, as I would assume Gentoo has more rebust infra than my raid backed Gentoo hardened home server. git over ssh is trivial to setup and use as it's the default. So I would assume the non trivial bit is allowing ssh access, but restricting what a full ssh account shell can do on the box in question. Development has now actually stopped and will resume once I know where the master repo is going to be unless anyone knows if I can start a git repo from a baselayout snapshot and then "push" it's commits to the main repo, or I can get a svn dump of the current baselayout and make a master git repo from that which then becomes the master? Maybe someone with more git knowledge could clarify? Thanks Roy -- gentoo-council@g.o mailing list