From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-council] Re: mtime preservation
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 10:24:08
>> Part of the problem (what you call "insufficient clarity") is that >> the proposal's original intention was to cover only the merge >> process, i.e. what takes place after pkg_preinst. Whereas you want >> to extend it to include everything that is taking place after >> src_install (for Portage, prepstrip and whatnot). >> >> If you limit it to the final merge process from D to ROOT, then the >> answer is easy, namely mtimes of all regular files must be >> preserved.
> What I want is for the proposal to be sufficiently specific that it > covers exactly what the package manager can and cannot do, and what > ebuilds can and cannot rely upon happening. If you require mtime > preservation between pkg_preinst and the merge to /, the package > manager can just screw things up (by implementing reasonable > features) elsewhere. It is by no means clear to me that merely > requiring mtime preservation from after pkg_preinst to before > pkg_postinst, and allowing arbitrary mtime tinkering elsewhere, is > what is desired.
Can you try to find a suitable wording? Otherwise, it's not clear to me how the council could resolve the issue during the next meeting. (And as my suggested wording [1] caused some unfortunate discussion, I don't feel like I should come up with a new one myself.)
> As an example for the above, is it legal for a package manager to > rewrite any mtime that is before the start of the build process if > it does it after src_install but before pkg_preinst?
So you really want this? ;-) My personal opinion is that it wouldn't break anything and we could therefore declare it as an allowed QA measure. And if it takes place before pkg_preinst then the ebuild could override it in special cases. But please be aware that the council (October meeting) has voted against this sort of mtime fixup. Ulrich [1] <> and following comments

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-council] Re: mtime preservation Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>