From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-council <gentoo-council@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] CoC enforcement proposal
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:46:49
1 On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 10:53 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 13:12 Thu 08 Nov , Ferris McCormick wrote:
3 > > This is a big step forward, and if we had a binary situation: either
4 > > accept it as written or go back to the drawing board, I'd prefer to
5 > > accept. Thus my comments which follow are best viewed as requests for
6 > > clarification or of personal inclination.
7 >
8 > Thanks for your comments, and I want to reiterate that we certainly do
9 > not have a binary situation in that respect. What we do have is
10 > preliminary text that could use suggestions like yours. =)
11 >
12 > > 1. Are 3 (or 5) people sufficient to ensure quick reactions to mailing
13 > > list questions or IRC? This is minor, and starting with 3 to put the
14 > > process in place and tune it as needed probably works. My concern is
15 > > longer term. Speaking for myself, for instance, I almost never see
16 > > problems on IRC until they are long over, and I suspect this is the case
17 > > for most people. Similarly (usually) with mail. And I don't think we
18 > > want a corps of full-time monitors.
19 >
20 > I understand your point, which amne also brought up. My main concerns
21 > with a larger group are that it will be unable to maintain a cohesive
22 > view of the CoC and that anyone who feels like it can join up.
23 >
24 I think I agree that fewer is better in this case. Starting with 3
25 growing to 5 probably works about right. At least until we have some
26 experience.
27
28 > > 2. As to forums, I've never seen that the forum moderators need any
29 > > help with what they are doing. Actually, in a sense I think the forums
30 > > are kind of a model for what you are proposing.
31 >
32 > I agree. Should we add a note that already-moderated places (#gentoo,
33 > forums) should not need additional moderation?
36 Sure.
37
38 --- Snip for economy ---
39
40 > > 5. Do you perceive the enforcement group as an arm of the Council
41 > > rather than as a group of its own? Previously, the Council did not seem
42 > > to know what to do when the Proctors' views of Code of Conduct and
43 > > Councils' *individual* views of Code of Conduct seemed to diverge. This
44 > > led to the unusual step of simply eliminating the Proctors. I rather
45 > > doubt that you would find much enthusiasm for working in such an
46 > > environment again. So, what you are proposing probably works for any
47 > > given Council (assuming continuing commitment from council to council).
48 > > I think my concern is addressed to (a) continuing commitment; (b)
49 > > consistency and continuity. The Gentoo community need to understand the
50 > > rules so that they become a part of our culture, so that even with
51 > > annual assessment, we should expect evolution rather than catastrophe.
52 > >
53 > > (This was all a bit muddled. That's sure indication that so are my
54 > > thoughts, so take it for what it's worth.)
55 > >
56 > > 6. "Developers can be members of both [Council and Code of Conduct
57 > > team]." This is the one sentence I take exception to. It's better to
58 > > work for more community involvement rather than allow concentration
59 > > resulting in personnel wearing multiple hats.
60 >
61 > The above two points tie together, in my mind. It would be preferable to
62 > have at least one of the team members be on council to ensure that their
63 > CoC interpretations are consistent.
66 Nice point. You sold me, assuming agreement among the Council members
67 (or at least agreement to give great weight to the reading from whoever
68 is a member of both.)
69
70 > That gave me a new idea. What if the first 2-4 weeks, the team did not
71 > actually take any action but just documented what its actions would have
72 > been? This would give people a feeling for what level of enforcement
73 > we'd see for the CoC.
76 I like this.
77
78 > > 7. Off the top of my head, why not allow (or require) that one member
79 > > of the team be a user but not a developer? Userrel, all, comments?
80 >
81 > If we could find a user with a strong enough grasp of Gentoo culture,
82 > I'm open to the idea, and I'd like to make any users adjunct staff
83 > members during their term to avoid that annoying "Users don't have power
84 > over me" syndrome.
87 I have one or two ideas, and I would guess so does Christel.
88
89 > Thanks,
90 > Donnie
91
92 Very positive,
93 Regards,
94 Ferris
95 --
96 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
97 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)