From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
Cc: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>, gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] CoC: informal enforcement
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:39:22
1 On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 09:31 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 12:36 Thu 14 Feb , Ferris McCormick wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 02:13 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
4 > > > What I want to do is build a core culture of people who refuse to
5 > > > tolerate assholes. We can do this by getting together a small group
6 > > > who will reply to any gentoo-dev posts or #gentoo-dev comments by
7 > > > people who are being jerks, telling them that they're being a jerk
8 > > > and not replying to the substance of the jerk's post at all. Replies
9 > > > to the substance of a post would come separately or not at all.
10 > > > Having a group of people reply to hostile posters should begin
11 > > > rebuilding a culture that doesn't tolerate that type of action.
12 > > >
13 > > > People who are consistently jerks are incompetent developers and
14 > > > should be treated as such.
15 > >
16 > > Nice idea and worth a try. I have one concern. Since we are talking
17 > > CoC here, I'd like to emphasise that "assholeness" should be
18 > > determined within the guidelines of the CoC. Not by some person's own
19 > > conception of "assholeness" --- I'd hate to see a flame war about just
20 > > who is being the asshole in any particular instance.
21 >
22 > You make a good point. The CoC [1] is subject to some level of
23 > interpretation, and I think that these two provisions pretty much
24 > provide for what I'm suggesting:
25 >
26 > Be courteous. Though respect is earned, it must start somewhere.
27 > Respect someones right for their own opinion and acknowledge that they
28 > do deserve a measure of politeness in your response.
29 >
30 > Respectfully disagree with or challenge other members. The operative
31 > word here is respectfully.
32 >
33 > One thought I've had is that once we get this small group of people, we
34 > could talk in an IRC channel about whether a particular instance
35 > qualifies before responding.
36 >
37 > Thanks,
38 > Donnie
39 >
40 > 1. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/coc.xml
43 So in other words.. proctors all over again..
46 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
47 Gentoo Linux
50 gentoo-council@l.g.o mailing list