From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Voting procedure
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 23:43:42
On 13:03 Sat 10 Jan     , Roy Bamford wrote:
> I would like to widen the discussion a little. I propose that council > members serve for two years, not the current year and that half the > seats are contested every year. > > This helps ensure a smooth transition from one council to the next and > avoids the case where a council near the end of its term decides to > 'leave it for the new council' and the new council takes a few months > to find its feet. We have seen both cases already. > > Council can debate/vote on that any time, or even decide to hold a > referendum.
I definitely think we need to hear from more people outside the council on this before making any decision. I like the idea of longer terms, and at the same time I see solar's point about people getting re-elected. If we're staggered, we're constantly getting an influx of new people regardless so the continuity is in the re-elected ones.
> To answer your questions directly, I'm not happy with the 'fake person' > A democracy gets the leadership it deserves, if there are seven > vacanices and only seven candidates, they should be elected unopposed. > No vote required.
I'd rather have 5 people I want in charge than those same 5 people plus 2 more who are totally unsuitable for council. Gentoo deserves the people our community want on the council, and nobody else.
> The 'none of the below' option can force a continuious cycle of > nominations/elections
So? As long as the cycle continues, the current council remains in place. -- Thanks, Donnie Donnie Berkholz Developer, Gentoo Linux Blog: