From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Chrissy Fullam <musikc@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Vote: What next?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 07:07:53
On 5/21/08, Chrissy Fullam <musikc@g.o> wrote:
> > People keep asking us for action or a decision one way or the other, and > > we can't seem to get enough of us saying the same thing at the same time > > to do anything. > > > > To get some movement here, I'd like to get a concrete response from the > > council in this thread for how we should proceed. Here's some options > > that have been mentioned: > > > > 1) Have an election now;
I would prefer this option.
I'm with Neddy that this is probably a waste of time in terms of election dates (now or 6 weeks from now). Regardless of the outcome of the vote we will be holding elections 'soon'; this may actually make things more confusing.
I think a and c are a copout (as presumbly Donnie is aware). Lack of planning on the council's part is not an excuse. It is crappy to be sure and I sympathize with your position and so forth... ;) b is an interesting tact. How many council members does it take to screw in a a meeting. Personally I think enough people showed up expecting a meeting that you probably won't do well to persue this path either; however it seems easier to use as a defense. 'Due to our poor planning we failed to communicate the meeting properly' vs. 'Due to our poor planning we failed to a majority vote in regards to the dailts of said future meeting, and due to a miscommunication of said details a meeting was set to take place without the full knowledge of the council'. I guess the second one sounds a bit better to me.
post mortem! But seriously, either we vote now or we vote in six weeks. The only disadvantage I see to voting now is essentially a loss of face for you if you don't get a voted back in. The disadvange for voting later is being labeled as 'the council that skipped the meeting and ignored the rules' and possibly a higher probabillity of not getting voted back in due to said labeling. Isn't being a leader of a group of random people fun?...*sigh*.
> > > I don't know the relevance of my opinion on this topic but what the heck. > > 1 = lame > 2 = less lame > 3 = least lame > 4 = cant comment on non-existence so how about no? > > Seriously, this wasn't advertised enough, the decision for the meeting IIRC > was made at the tail end of your regular meeting and continued even when > other Council members had already left. I do wish more, if not most, of you > showed for the meeting but I cant hold it against you when it was announced > the way it was (end of meeting and via logs about a meeting you had attended > so why would you read them). > > I think voting you guys out would be lame. I like that word regarding this > topic. :) I personally will vote for each of you again should you choose to > run in the next election. > > Regarding that #!$$#@% about Trustees trying to take over control of > Council, you really don't even want to get me started on my thoughts at that > but expletive expletive expletive should cover that nicely. It is sooo not > what the Trustees were voted in to do, that being to handle many legal and > non-technical matters. If ever there would be a reason for developers to > quit, I would cite that as a prime candidate. Sorry, to my knowledge we > didn't ask for a take over.
I see where he is coming from; I disagree (maybe he is just too new..I dunno..this is pretty normal for us by now <g>). I'm certain said trustee is tired of some of this bullcrap and I think he wants to change stuff. I also think his methods are...poorly chosen (certainly it will be difficult to change in a trustee position at this point in time).