From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] DVCS update
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 23:06:44
On 14:08 Tue 10 Feb     , Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 01:51:34PM -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote: > > - Robin has commented that he doesn't know what kind of server-side > > resources are required. I've talked to a number of git admins > > (, fedora,, gnome), and they have all said the > > hardware requirements for git are negligible. They don't have any > > resource on their servers that's being used up. It's gitweb that is > > somewhat resource-intensive. > > A specific comment on this (I know I've been away lately, I'm busy > getting back to things now that I've moved house). Git devours RAM. > During pull actions, if the pull triggers a build of a custom pack on > the server, it can snowball to kill the box with IO load due to swap and > later OOM. > > The git-upload-pack that runs on the server side when you do a 'git > clone ...' at the moment for the gentoo-x86.git repo exceeds 1GB of RAM > after 10 minutes of running. The box only has 2GB of RAM, so it hits > swap quickly, and things go downhill very fast from there.
Thanks, Robin! To be very specific about one of the above, the Gnome box is a dual-CPU with 8G RAM on some kind of RAID. Owen Taylor (otaylor on IRC) informed me that it handled git with no problem at insignicant load. OTOH, I don't know of anyone with a repo more than 1/2 the size of ours and maybe 1/4 the object count. My local clone of the kernel is ~600M. -- Thanks, Donnie Donnie Berkholz Developer, Gentoo Linux Blog: