From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] DVCS update
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 23:06:44
1 On 14:08 Tue 10 Feb , Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 01:51:34PM -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > - Robin has commented that he doesn't know what kind of server-side
4 > > resources are required. I've talked to a number of git admins
5 > > (kernel.org, fedora, freedesktop.org, gnome), and they have all said the
6 > > hardware requirements for git are negligible. They don't have any
7 > > resource on their servers that's being used up. It's gitweb that is
8 > > somewhat resource-intensive.
9 >
10 > A specific comment on this (I know I've been away lately, I'm busy
11 > getting back to things now that I've moved house). Git devours RAM.
12 > During pull actions, if the pull triggers a build of a custom pack on
13 > the server, it can snowball to kill the box with IO load due to swap and
14 > later OOM.
15 >
16 > The git-upload-pack that runs on the server side when you do a 'git
17 > clone ...' at the moment for the gentoo-x86.git repo exceeds 1GB of RAM
18 > after 10 minutes of running. The box only has 2GB of RAM, so it hits
19 > swap quickly, and things go downhill very fast from there.
20
21 Thanks, Robin! To be very specific about one of the above, the Gnome box
22 is a dual-CPU with 8G RAM on some kind of RAID. Owen Taylor (otaylor on
23 IRC) informed me that it handled git with no problem at insignicant
24 load.
25
26 OTOH, I don't know of anyone with a repo more than 1/2 the size of ours
27 and maybe 1/4 the object count. My local clone of the kernel is ~600M.
30 Thanks,
31 Donnie
32
33 Donnie Berkholz