From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-council] DVCS update
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:51:36
1 Hi all,
2
3 Here's a quick update on the git-migration experiment. We've pretty much
4 settled on doing one large repository for the entire tree for a couple
5 of reasons:
6
7 - It's realistic to complete in the short term: It doesn't require a
8 level of rearchitecture that will delay it forever. The alternative of
9 one repo per package requires changes to many of our tools, and
10 enhancements to git of varying scopes.
11
12 - Many of the biggest problems with it have been solved. For example,
13 this week I found a tool that should retain history when merging a
14 package in an overlay to the main tree, even if there is no common
15 ancestry.
16
17 - The remaining problems are not blockers. For example, there is no way
18 to check out just part of a tree. Disk space isn't so hard to find now
19 that this is a requirement.
20
21 - Robin has commented that he doesn't know what kind of server-side
22 resources are required. I've talked to a number of git admins
23 (kernel.org, fedora, freedesktop.org, gnome), and they have all said the
24 hardware requirements for git are negligible. They don't have any
25 resource on their servers that's being used up. It's gitweb that is
26 somewhat resource-intensive.
29 The next thing I can think of that needs to happen is putting together a
30 concrete plan for how a migration would work and making sure all
31 necessary tools support it, on all sides: developer, user, and
32 infrastructure. We've got portage support now, but I don't have any idea
33 what needs to change on the backend infra servers.
36 Thanks,
37 Donnie
38
39 Donnie Berkholz