From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council <gentoo-council@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Improving Council operations with a web application
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 19:44:18
1 [Sorry for the delay of my answer.]
2
3 >>>>> On Sun, 27 Dec 2009, Petteri Räty wrote:
4
5 > I have a couple times said that the council could make use of a web
6 > application to handle things. In celebration of the holidays I did
7 > some initial work to get feedback on the issue. I created a simple
8 > rails application where you can create questions and vote on them if
9 > you are registered and signed up. Here's what I am thinking for this
10 > to be truly useful in no particular order:
11
12 > 1. use openid to authenticate council members via
13 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~nick/
14
15 > 2. every gentoo developer may put issues for the council to vote on
16
17 > 3. handle agenda items for meetings
18
19 > 4. email notifications about new votes and if someone hasn't voted
20 > inside some timeline
21
22 > 5. handle glep submission timelines automatically
23
24 It looks promising, but of course we'll have to see how it works in
25 practical usage.
26
27 Will you write up instructions for openid if we are going to use this?
28
29 > Some benefits that come to mind:
30
31 > 1. easier to vote outside monthly meetings
32
33 If I see the rate of replies to questions raised on gentoo-council,
34 the problem is more to get council members vote at all outside of
35 meetings. ;-) But maybe an application like this will help.
36
37 > 2. security. Currently we don't really even check if council members
38 > are authenticated on IRC and most of us probably don't use SSL to
39 > connect there when authenticating.
40
41 If they have ops in #-council then they should be authenticated?
42 I don't see this as a big problem, and I'm sure that any imposter
43 would be noticed soon.
44
45 > 3. People can find out votes before the official summary is done.
46 > I think the summary should still go into CVS but this can make it
47 > easier to create it
48
49 Right, counting votes from a meeting's IRC log is somewhat difficult.
50 It might even help when preparing the summary.
51
52 > If you think this would be something that we could use, I can
53 > continue to make this usable.
54
55 I would say, go ahead.
56