From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Re: mtime preservation
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 16:36:51
1 >>>>> On Mon, 9 Nov 2009, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
2
3 > Let the clueless dev that I am summarize the situation. Please
4 > correct me if I'm wrong, I think that will help more people than
5 > just me. In the end I'll propose 2 wordings for PMS.
6
7 > I understand that the issue with requiring mtime preservation is
8 > that after unpacking the tarball(s) some files can have absurd
9 > dates, like January 1st 1970 or else. One easy solution to this
10 > would be to reset mtimes at merge time which will take care of
11 > everything. However, I know of a package which requires mtime
12 > preservation from src_compile to the moment it's merged to ${ROOT}.
13
14 Which package? sci-electronics/ghdl?
15
16 > And if there's a package like this in my very small corner of Gentoo
17 > there must be more elsewhere, and there probably will be more in the
18 > future.
19
20 The "absurd dates" issue would have been addressed by option B in
21 <http://bugs.gentoo.org/264130#c26>. This was up for vote at the last
22 council meeting, but wasn't chosen.
23
24 > So here are the 2 wordings I propose.
25
26 > 1 - All mtimes from the package's sources are preserved until files
27 > are merged to ${ROOT}. In case some mtimes are absurd and/or
28 > unsuitable, they're considered a bug and it's the maintainer's
29 > responsibility to fix them and report back upstream.
30
31 > 2 - All mtimes from the package's sources are reset to current time
32 > between the src_unpack phase and the next one. That is before
33 > src_configure when EAPI<2 and before src_prepare when EAPI>=2.
34 > mtimes are then preserved until files are merged to ${ROOT}.
35
36 > How's that? Am I missing something?
37
38 Hm, the idea was something like wording 1, but more details should be
39 added since there are also files that are modified by Portage (e.g.
40 binaries being stripped).
41
42 Ulrich