From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Comparison of GLEP 54 and 'live ebuild' proposal
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 01:53:53
1 Roy Bamford wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On 2009.03.09 22:47, Thomas Anderson wrote:
6 >> Hi,
7 >>
8 >> Attached is my comparison of the two proposals for live sources.
9 >> Sorry about getting it out late, I had to get ahold of a number
10 >> of
11 >> people to finish writing it up.
12 >>
13 >> Cheers,
14 >> Thomas
15 >> --
16 >> ---------
17 >> Thomas Anderson
18 >> Gentoo Developer
19 >> /////////
20 >> Areas of responsibility:
21 >> AMD64, Secretary to the Gentoo Council
22 >> ---------
26 > - ------quoted attachment "glep54comp.txt"------
27 > [snip]
28 >> One important issue is what happens in the following
29 >> scenario:
30 >> 1) world update starts at 20090301@2200hrs.
31 >> 2) this particular update involves 100 packages so it takes
32 >> quite
33 >> along time
34 >> 3) The _live package is not reached until 20090302 at 1AM.
35 >>
36 >> Is the package installed as 20090301 or 20090302?
37 >>
38 > [snip]
39 >
40 > Thomas,
41 >
42 > Live has to expand to the date when the sources were fetched, otherwise
43 > its not 'live' by definition.
44 > As an illustration, I install KDE 4.2 on my 25MHz 486DX with 64Mb RAM.
45 > During the time it takes to build, 'live' is likely to have changed
46 > several times.
47
48 It isn't exactly a problem (more will follow)
51 > How do you handle prefetching of sources, or do you forbid
52 > prefetching ?
53
54 live template ebuild require supporting src_fetch among the other stuff.
55 Keep in mind that once you get an ebuild from the template you can
56 use&reuse it as a normal ebuild (so it works like the mythtv "not so
57 live" ebuilds using svn on fixed revision)
58
59 > Live infers you fetch the sources at the time you need to build them
60 > and do the live expansion at that time. Without that you don't know how
61 > old your live version is.
62 >
63 > live can change several times a day. With only one day resolution, how
64 > do you handle that?
65
66 What is in the draft you can find on
67 http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero/glep/liveebuild.rst
68
69 "
70 Resolution and Version Comparison
71 ---------------------------------
72
73 At resolution the live keyword is substituted with a timestamp in the
74 form of
75 iso date (``YYYYMMDDhhmm``) and the version comparison follows the normal
76 version comparison rules.
77 "
78
79 Once you trigger the template -> ebuild generation you are working with
80 a snapshot for all what concerns portage.
81
82 So once you start you are set.
83
84 lu