From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Diego Augusto Molina <diegoaugustomolina@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, trustees@g.o, gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-council] Re: [gentoo-project] Send a collaboration propossal to the Raspberry Pi team
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 13:02:27
1 On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Diego Augusto Molina
2 <diegoaugustomolina@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Well I'm not gentoo dev at all, but that's an interesting project I
4 > see. I had worked on other kind of developments and I'm currently
5 > working at my country's government. I may be a dreamer... but it would
6 > be great if I can help introducing gentoo on a Raspberry Pi _and_
7 > (even further) introduce it in my country's educational system.
8
9 So, not speaking officially for the trustees, the typical way that the
10 Foundation gets involved in these sorts of things is for developers to
11 first step up and declare that they would like to support something
12 like this, and then figure out what they need to make it happen.
13 Ultimately being a volunteer-driven distro having people who want to
14 see something happen ends up being rate limiting. Given the prices of
15 the hardware/etc I can't imagine that cost is going to be the
16 determining factor here.
17
18 So, if anybody who is a dev wants to step up and get involved I'd
19 recommend declaring your support for this as a starting measure.
20 Those involved can then set up a project, elect a lead, and work with
21 the Raspberry Pi folks as well as the Foundation to make it happen.
22
23 I'd love to see some kind of official involvement here, but either way
24 Gentoo being what it is I'm sure people will be fiddling around with
25 these as soon as they are available. Official involvement might of
26 course give us more opportunity to get involved earlier. As we've
27 already seen with ChromeOS, Gentoo is a great place to start if you
28 want to create an embedded experience that is a bit more
29 full-featured.
30
31 Rich