From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council <gentoo-council@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Extent of Code of Conduct enforcement
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 08:24:01
1 On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 6:35 AM, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
2 > Can people be entirely banned from Gentoo?
3
4 no
7 > - What would such a ban include? Some ideas -- the person could not:
8 > - Post to any gentoo mailing list;
9
10 technically feasible
11
12 > - Post to gentoo bugzilla;
13
14 technically feasible
15
16 > - Participate in #gentoo- IRC channels;
17
18 technically infeasible. Also a hard sell; traditionally gentoo-*
19 channels that are not #gentoo-dev and #gentoo are owned and operated
20 by gentoo subprojects with the permission of the gentoo reps.
21 Enforcing a ban in all channels would be difficult.
22
23 > - Contribute to gentoo (hence my corner case of a security fix) except
24 > perhaps through a proxy;
25
26 nothing stops them from contributing to the community; it is not as if
27 Gentoo controls all outlets anyway.
30 > - Why would we do it?
31
32 To prevent gentoo from being messed with by people who have routinely
33 proven that they are unfit to assist the distribution.
36 > - Under whose authority would it happen?
37
38 Userrel.
41 > - Would it be reversible? What conditions would cause this?
42
43 I assume the person would ask to return or have someone vouch for them.
46 > Since the banned person couldn't participate in Gentoo, we'd never
47 > know whether anything changed.
48
49 I would think that if the person wanted to come back they would:
50
51 Make an effort to contact Gentoo; It is not as if developers would
52 not talk to this individual.
53 Gentoo itself would take this person back provisionally to ensure
54 things were different. This is
55 a case by case deal and I think is difficult to pin down.
58 > - How would one appeal this? Would there be a chance to respond before
59 > the ban?
60
61 Since the ban would require some amount of history I don't see any
62 particular reason not to solicit feedback from said person.
65 > - Would moderating the gentoo-dev mailing list obsolete this concept?
66
67 If moderating gentoo-dev obsoletes this concept then I think the
68 concept itself is flawed (gentoo is more than gentoo-dev)
71 > --
72 > Thanks,
73 > Donnie
74 >