From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Council meeting summary for 8 November 2007
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 07:54:17
1 On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 14:25 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Here is the summary from today's council meeting. The complete log will
3 > show up at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/ shortly.
7 > Baselayout-2: uberlord will continue to maintain it
8 > ---------------------------------------------------
9
10 > lu_zero asked whether we had anything to do about baselayout-2 since
11 > uberlord resigned. He's continuing to maintain it in a git repository
12 > and will remain upstream for it. More details will emerge over time.
13
14 > kingtaco raised the question of trusting external releases and hosts.
15 > Some responses suggested that using git may prevent the malicious
16 > host,
17 > because of the possibility of GPG-signed tags. He mentioned the
18 > possibility of the infra team hosting Gentoo-critical repositories
19 > with
20 > access by non-Gentoo developers. It's just an idea at this point, but
21 > he's going to talk to the rest of the infra team.
22
23 They should be treated in the same way as any other package. Or do you
24 trust a gentoo dev MORE than say a gcc/glibc/kernel/bash/foo dev? If so,
25 why?
26 More to the point, if said dev then joins Gentoo, do you implicitly
27 trust that dev more?
28
29 As I've gone the other way, do you now trust me less? I'd like to know
30 why also :)
31
32 At the end of the day, open source is about quite a bit of trust really,
33 regardless of who you are or who (if anyone) you're coding for at the
34 time.
35
36 And as it may become an external project, it makes things easier to drop
37 it and say move to einit, init-ng or upstart which has been discussed
38 before.
39
40 Thanks
41