From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Agenda (draft) for November meeting 2009-11-09
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:06:42
1 On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 18:03:20 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 > Find below a proposed agenda for our next meeting.
4
5 Could you add in something like:
6
7 "Agree upon a wording for PMS for the mtime modification change
8 introduced to EAPI 3 last time"
9
10 please? Due to insufficient clarity in the proposal, the PMS team hasn't
11 been able to come up with a wording that wouldn't either require
12 changes to Portage (which appears to be against the Council's intent)
13 or that would permit behaviour currently seen as undesirable. As I
14 understand it, the issues are:
15
16 * What's to be done about sub-second timestamps? What about cases where
17 the build filesystem supports them but the root filesystem doesn't?
18
19 * For which files must mtimes be preserved, and which can be modified?
20
21 * Is it the intent of this proposal to prevent package managers from
22 automatically rewriting, say, #!/usr/bin/python to
23 #!/opt/gentoo/bin/python if prefix is being used?
24
25 Or, a solution before the meeting would be fine too. It's just I don't
26 think this is something the PMS team is able to resolve on its own.
29 Ciaran McCreesh