From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
Cc: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>, gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Meeting format
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 05:39:08
1 On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 10:20 PM, Ned Ludd<solar@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 18:52 -0600, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
3 >> We should also get rid of both the slacker rule and proxies. They're
4 >> good examples of over-engineering.
5 >
6 > This is not within the councils power to get rid of. The users voted for
7 > GLEP-39 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0039.html which states
8 > our requirements. Should it not be up to them to change it?
9 >
10 > Note personally I think the mark is childish as written for the most
11 > part and got rushed in some 5 years ago. But it does have some validity
12 > in that it seems to yield council members to stepping down from the
13 > council before returning to the slack nature that we all need from time
14 > to time.
15 >
16 > Re: Best times for meetings..
17 > Ok so I generally am employed from the hours of 9-5 M-F PST (GMT-7). The
18 > company I work for can have official meetings any day of the week any
19 > hour of the day with not much more than an hours notice. I've been in
20 > the meeting/council channel for over 5 years now. So I clearly have an
21 > interest in what we are doing as a meta distribution, but If I'm unable
22 > to make a meeting and it's scheduled in the time-frame of my work hours
23 > then I can guaranty nothing. It's more likely that I'd have to be in/out
24 > for the duration of the meeting. If proxy is required then I'd call for
25 > a semi perm proxy of the next in line on the vote rankings. At least
26 > till it causes a personal conflict of interest.
27
28 This will be the truth for most US based Gentoo developers/council
29 members. So this is something that really needs to be addressed
30 properly because obviously changing the times back to where it worked
31 the best for US based Gentoo council members didn't work in the past
32 and resulted in the change to work for the EU based people. The
33 constant push and pull just won't work.
36 Doug Goldstein