From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>, gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Re: mtime preservation
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 21:12:42
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 16:07:30 +0100
3 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Obviously we cannot guarantee anything below the seconds level because
5 >> of limitations in the underlying filesystems or software (e.g., tar
6 >> for binpkgs). But is there a reason for limiting it further, i.e. not
7 >> preserving sub-second timestamps if they are supported by both
8 >> filesystems?
9 >
10 > So far as I can see, if they're fully supported on both filesystems,
11 > Portage sometimes preserves nanosecond-resolution timestamps and
12 > sometimes doesn't. So, requiring nanosecond-resolution timestamp
13 > preservation where possible will need Portage changes.
14
15 I think it always preserves them, as long as you have at least
16 python-2.5 since that is required for floating-point mtime support.
17 --
18 Thanks,
19 Zac